Camarillo, California Therapists
Find a therapist in Camarillo, California that meets your needs. Browse our comprehensive list of affordable and licensed therapists in Camarillo to find a professional specializing in counseling people with stress, anxiety, depression, relationship issues, grief and more.
We may receive fees from the providers listed below. See our full disclaimer.
An Overview of Mental Health in Camarillo, California
Camarillo, California is located in Ventura County. The population of Camarillo is estimated to be 67,845 as of 2017. Having been incorporated in 1964, it is a relatively new city. As with other Ventura County cities, Camarillo is resistant to new development.
Health care, education, and retail trade are the largest industries in the city. Its unemployment rate is significantly lower than the national average, at 2.6 percent in comparison to 3.9 percent. The median household income is also impressively higher than the national average wage index.
While residents of Camarillo generally have a good economic and medical outlook, there are some roadblocks, particularly in terms of mental health. It is imperative to closely assess the data that exists about mental illness in Camarillo and Ventura County and consider what mental health services are available in the area.
Mental Health Statistics in Camarillo, California
These numbers highlight the mental health challenges in Camarillo and Ventura County:
- Survey respondents said they have an average of 10 bad mental health days each month.
- In 2014, 4 percent of the Ventura County population experienced severe psychological distress in the last year. This is even higher than the prevalence of heart disease, which was at 6.2 percent.
- The suicide rate per 100,000 people in Ventura County was 11.2 from 2012-2014.
- Suicide was the ninth cause of death among Ventura County residents from 2012-2014.
- From 2012-2014, there were 66.1 emergency room visits per 100,000 for mental health reasons, including anxiety disorders, adjustment disorders, psychotic disorders, and impulse control disorders. This is a higher emergency room rate than for complications such as heart failure, diabetes, hypertension, and asthma.
- 5 percent of survey participants reported trouble running errands alone, with 3.4 percent of these people stating it is because of poor or fair mental health.
This data from the Community Needs Assessment by Dignity Health and the Community Health Assessment 2017 by the Ventura County Public Health Department is indispensable in understanding this pressing issue.
Factors and Causes of Mental Illness in Camarillo, California
These statistics may cause one to wonder why there are mental health issues in Camarillo. There are many different contributing factors to this issue. However, there are some core behavioral and health issues that explain the mental health hurdles.
Alcohol and drug abuse are some of the most prevalent harmful behaviors among Ventura County residents:
- 4 percent of adults in Ventura County admitted to binge drinking in the past year.
- Drugs were the 4th leading reason for premature death from 2012-2014.
- The death rate because of drug use was 14 per 100,000.
- The emergency room visit rate because of substance abuse per 10,000 was 23.5.
- Ventura County’s opioid death rate exceeds the statewide rate.
Untreated emotional and social health problems often lead to substance abuse.
Inadequate Physical Activity
There is a lot of research that shows there are a variety of mental health benefits of physical activity. Exercise can help those with anxiety, depression, ADHD, and other mental disorders. In light of this, it is troubling that nearly a quarter of survey respondents in Camarillo report partaking in no physical activity whatsoever, including walking or running.
The Trouble of Finding a Suitable Therapist in Camarillo, California
Receiving mental health treatment is not always easy or affordable. Of the 16.4 percent of adults in Ventura County that required help with mental health or substance abuse from 2014-2015, only 61.6 percent could access the necessary services. That means 38.4 percent of those who needed treatment did not get it. This is partially due to the fact that 6.2 percent of the Camarillo population lacks health insurance.
Mental Health Resources in Camarillo, California
Even with some obstacles, there are a lot of services available for Camarillo residents. There are 302 mental health providers per 100,000 population. The Ventura County Health Care Agency provides a wide variety of clinics and programs as well as a 24/7 crisis hotline.
- Aliso Viejo
- Apple Valley
- Baldwin Park
- Buena Park
- Cathedral City
- Chino Hills
- Chula Vista
- Citrus Heights
- Costa Mesa
- Daly City
- Diamond Bar
- El Cajon
- El Monte
- Elk Grove
- Fountain Valley
- Garden Grove
- Huntington Beach
- Huntington Park
- Jurupa Valley
- La Habra
- La Mesa
- Laguna Nigue
- Lake Forest
- Mission Viejo
- Monterey Park
- Moreno Valley
- Mountain View
- National City
- Newport Beach
- Palo Alto
- Pico Rivera
- Rancho Cordova
- Rancho Cucamonga
- Redondo Beach
- Redwood City
- San Bernardino
- San Buenaventura (Ventura)
- San Clemente
- San Leandro
- San Marcos
- San Mateo
- San Rafael
- San Ramon
- Santa Ana
- Santa Barbara
- Santa Clara
- Santa Clarita
- Santa Maria
- Santa Rosa
- Simi Valley
- South Gate
- South San Francisco
- Thousand Oaks
- Union City
- Walnut Creek
- West Covina
- Yorba Linda
- Yuba City